28 February 2012

Travelday - Where I Lose my Heart

Our fist glimpse from the train.
 
I've never been a particularly romantic person.

Canals and bridges ... be still my beating heart.

I'm not one of those girls who grew up dreaming of visiting Paris or New York or Venice.

St Mark's was lovely by day or night, but by night there were no crowds which we definitely preferred.

I wanted to travel, I have always wanted to travel, but my dreams were more of the Daintree, Antarctica, the Galapagos Islands and the Grand Canyon.

One of my favourites from the whole holiday - The Sparky's patience with these long exposure photos is beyond me.

I'm a nature girl at heart and cities and towns have never particularly appealed to me so no one was more surprised than I when I fell totally and completely head over heels in love with Venice.

Our new favourites - short black, macchiato and cannoli (please excuse the dodgy night time iPhone quality)

As in, I didn't want to leave.

Self-portrait in St Mark's Square our first night.

As in, I want to go back now.

Lots of water means lots of water transport.


As in, this is the one place we will probably deliberately plan to get back to - even before we've visited all of the many other wonderful places we want to get to.

No matter the angle or time of day everything was beautiful.

As in, I could go on and on and on about how I love the place but couldn't even begin to explain to you why.

The room upgrade may have had something to do with it.


I don't know if it's just because it's the first big overseas holiday we've had ...

Eclectic, random, historic and artistic but still structured and organised - maybe that's the answer, Venice is The Sparky and I


(I'm sorry New Zealand, I love you but you're just too close and too similar to be classed as an overseas holiday)

Proof that we were, in fact, there.

... and maybe I'll fall like this every where I go ...

Various views from the top of the bell tower ... well worth the extra Euros.
 
... all I know for the moment is that I am totally smitten and it just won't go away.


2 comments:

  1. Truly gorgeous, and you're right: no matter what time of day or which angle you're shooting from, the photos are stunning. I wish I could see these places sometime soon!

    I checked on that book for you. It's called 'The City of Falling Angels' by John Berendt. I read it and found it fascinating, and I've never been to Venice, so I suspect that your familiarity with and love for the city would make it that much better. Let me know if you do end up reading it!

    e.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erin, as you can probably tell I'm slightly biased at the moment but I would highly recommend getting to Venice one day if the opportunity arises.

      I've added the book to my 'wish list' and am sure I'll end up with it soon. Will let you know how that goes.

      Delete